|CPU Socket||Intel 1151|
|CPU Type||Intel I5 8th Generation Coffee Lake|
|CPU Clock Speed||3.0 Ghz|
Intel's eight generation of CPUs go by this codename and represent the successor to the Socket 1151 Kaby Lake and Skylake series. Although they share the same socket designation, they are not compatible with older chipsets due to a range of optimisations to Coffee Lake CPUs. On this basis, they require a 300- series chipset. The Coffee Lake Intel Core i5 processors offer six CPU cores, high clock frequencies and new Turbo Boost Features - all at a TDP of just 65 Watts!
The Intel Core i5-8500 at a Glance:
- 6 physical cores with plenty of power
- 3,0 GHz base clock with 65 Watt TDP
- 4,1 GHz boost clock & Turbo Boost 2.0
- 9 Megabyte L3 Cache
- Supports DDR4-2.666 (Dual Channel)
- Revised UHD 630 Graphics
- Only compatible with motherboards utilising 300- series chipsets!
- Attention: Boxed version with CPU cooler!
The Intel Core i5-8500: Powerful Hexa-Core Processor
The Intel Core i5-8500 offers a clock frequency of 3,0 GHz which, thanks to Turbo Boost 2.0, clocks up to 4,1 GHz ansteigen kann. It should be noted that the boost frequencies vary depending on whether 1-, 2-, 4-, or 6 cores are in operation. This enables Coffee Lake CPUs to maximise their performance and allows users to optimise CPU usage depending on whether the processor is being used for games or applications. The L3 cache has been increased to 9 megabytes and the Thermal Design Power (TDP) sits at 65 Watts.
One fundamental difference compared to the Skylake- and Kaby Lake generations is that Coffee Lake is only compatible with faster and more efficient DDR4-RAM. The four-core processors support frequencies up to 2.400 MHz while six-core processors support up to 2.666 MHz. In terms of the socket itself Intel has opted to retain LGA 1151, although it is vitally important that a motherboard with a 300- series chipset is used. This is due to the fact that the processor may otherwise suffer damage due to alterations in the power delivery system.
In direct comparison to the 200- series, 300- series processors allow for improved power delivery for the entire CPU - thereby improving overclockability. The integrated GPU has undergone similar improvements in terms of clock speeds and drivers, now bearing the new Intel HD Graphics UHD 630 designation. With its 24 Execution Units it offers more than adequate graphics power as well as Intel Quick Sync, GPU Compute and of course a game or two as well. Furthermore the GPU supports DirectX 12 with Feature-Level 12_1, OpenGL 4.5 and OpenCL 2.0 as well as 4K- and UHD resolutions at 60 Hz via Displayport. This requires a compatible motherboard.
This boxed version of the processor includes a compatible CPU cooler from Intel.
- Type: Intel Core i5-8500 ("Coffee Lake") Manufacturing Process: 14 nm PlusPlus
- Cores: 6 / 6 (physical / virtual)
- Frequency: Base Clock: 3,0 GHz Turbo Clock (max.): 4,1 GHz
- Cache: Level 3 Cache: 9 MB Level 2 Cache: 1,5 MB (6x 256 kB)
- Memory: Memory Controller: internal Memory Channels: 2 Memory Standard: DDR4 (2.666 MHz)
- Integrated GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (24 EUs, max. 1.100 MHz)
- TDP: 65 Watt
- Socket Compatibility: LGA 1151
- Chipet Compatibility: 300-Series from Intel